2022-3-25, Williams-Gurski Open Space, Brookfield, CT

 On 2022-3-23 and 2022-3-25, I visited Williams-Gurski Open Space area in Brookfield, CT.  I made an interactive map with location numbers.  Here's a link to the interactive map: https://arcg.is/0KDyWH .

Here's a static screenshot of the interactive map.




On 2022-3-23, I parked in the lot at 1.  

21.  I made my way over to a Chestnut Tree of some species that had produced many burs.  My guess was that the tree was a Chinese Chestnut, Castanea mollissima.



21.



21.



21.



17.  One of the many bog bridges in the Williams-Gurski Open Space area.



15.  Merwin Brook.



14.  Another bog bridge.



12.  A large Black Birch.




12.



11.  Was this some kind of fungus growing on an American Beech tree?




11.



10.  A simple suspension bridge.



10.  This trail runner told me that the bridge had been on the course for an eight-hour trail race in the fall of 2021.



10.  It looked like hooks that screwed into the tree held the chain.



16.  There were American Holly trees in several places in the Williams-Gurski Open Space area.



16.



9.  Brookfield High School.



8.  A large quartzite boulder, I think.



2.  This was a temporary skating rink.



1.  This was posted on a kiosk near where I parked.



I went back to the Williams-Gurski Open Space area on 2022-3-25

26.  I parked in a pull-off off Obtuse Hill Road.

20.  A view from a bench.



25.  The Gurski Homestead.



24.



24.  I thought this was a Catalpa Tree, a legume.



24.




23.



23.  My guess was that, at some time after the graveyard stopped accepting new graves, someone decided that laying the gravestones flat would make maintenance easier.  I thought this gravestone was made out of slate.




Near 23.  I thought these were Red Maple flowers.




19.




18.  I thought this could be a Scarlet Oak or a Red Oak.



18.



6.  This was on a trail on private property.  I thought this was a garden escapee.



6.



6.



6.



7.  A view of wetlands.




4.  I thought this was a White Ash tree, but, because it was not dead, I now think it might have been a Norway Maple which has bark that is similar to White Ash bark.



4.



3.  I thought this was myrtle, a naturalized garden flower.



22.  I am pretty sure that this was Euonymus fortunei, also known as Wintercreeper, or Fortune's Spindle, an evergreen vine that is native to east Asia.



22.























































David Reik

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022-6-5, Metacomet Trail, East Granby, CT.

2022-6-3, Lake Compounce Area Trails, Southington, CT

2020-8-2, Highlawn Forest, Middletown, CT