2022-6-5, Metacomet Trail, East Granby, CT.

On 2022-6-5, I hiked a section of the Metacomet Trail in East Granby, from CT-189 to Holcomb Street.

I made an interactive map of my route --- my GPS track is shown in pink.  I put in location numbers to show where the pictures below were taken.  Here is a screenshot of the southern part of the map.


Here's a screenshot of the northern part of the map.


Here's a link to the interactive map, where you can zoom in and out, and turn on and off various layers.

https://arcg.is/1aDPiq


4.  The view of Tariffville Gorge.



6.  I don't think there was ever a structure connected with this chimney.



8.  A large Striped Maple leaf.



9.  Carolina Rose (Rosa carolina), I think.  A wild native rose.



11.  Evidence of some recent mowing of plants in the sunlit power cut.



12.  The first blow-down I came to.  This was about 100 feet south of the cemetery.



12.  The cemetery.  As I recall, the three grave stones are reproductions of the original grave stones which are now embedded in the foundation of an occupied house.



14.  A blow-down.



15.  A beaver swamp.



17.  A landmark White Oak.



18.  A three-part blow-down.



19.  There were several of these signs along my route.  It seems that the entire trail I walked on on 2022-6-5 was owned by Galasso Holdings, LLC.



19.  This is the road walk to CT-20.  It looked dangerous.  I turned around and went back.




19.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to move the trail off the road.




16.  Is the hope that trails be four-foot wide realistic?  This is one of many sections of the trail I walked on on 2022-6-5 that weren't four-foot wide.  You can see poison ivy on the left.



13.  A new blaze on a section of trail that seemed to have been a recent re-location.




13.  The southern end of what I thought was a re-location.



13.  A screenshot from the CFPA online map overlaid with my 2022-6-5 track.  The arrows show the beginning and end of the apparent re-location.






10.  A view to the northwest.



7.  This turn blaze confused me, and appears to have confused others --- a dim trail went to the left that petered out in fifty feet or so.  The Metacomet actually goes straight here, although a bike trail goes to the right in about fifty feet.



5.  Even though I have hiked this trail many times, I went straight here where the trail goes right.  I don't know if anything could be done to make turn clearer.



3.  Evidence of recent blow-down cutting.



2.  A few years ago, I was on a crew that did side-hilling on a section of trail to the north of this point.  We stopped at this rocky section which is quite tricky to walk on.  Could anything be done to make the treadway smoother?



1.  Can you see the two paddlers?  I hope they knew that there were dangerous rapids a few hundred feet downstream.




1.  More poison ivy encroaching on the trail.  To keep the trail four feet wide on the section along the Farmington River would be a lot of work.















David Reik 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022-6-3, Lake Compounce Area Trails, Southington, CT

2020-8-2, Highlawn Forest, Middletown, CT