2021-6-23, Lena Reserve, East Haddam, CT

 On 2021-6-23, I visited Lena Reserve in East Haddam, CT.  Lena Reserve is owned by the town of East Haddam.  I made an interactive map with location numbers that I will refer to.  Here's a link to the interactive map: https://arcg.is/eGGiv .  Here's a static screenshot of the interactive map.



1.  I parked in a pull-off on the side of Mitchell Road.  I could have parked in a four-car lot 245 feet to the southwest.


2.  Rocks along Mitchell Road.



3.  More rocks along Mitchell Road.

4  I left Mitchell Road to walk on an unimproved town road.  There was no road sign, but the name of the road may be George Babcock Road.  Here's a view of ferns from the road


.

5.  A picture of me on the unimproved town road.



6.  There was no bridge on the road to cross a small stream  There was the wreck of an old car (maybe from the 1930s) by the side of the stream.



6  A carefully constructed opening in a stone wall lets the stream pass through.


7.  Here, I came across a three-way intersection.  All three unmaintained town roads may be named George Babcock Road.  This is looking southwesterly towards where a red-blazed trail joined the road and followed the road southwesterly.



8.  An overgrown white-blazed trail connected the red trail with a blue-blazed trail here.



9  The red trail runs though a gravel parking lot that I would guess could hold about twenty cars.  West of the parking lot, the road is maintained.


9.



9.  You could be a Reserve Monitor!



9.  Biking is allowed.  I saw evidence of horse ridding.


9.  I took some pictures of one of the several flowering plants that I saw near the parking lot.  I think the plant was common yarrow, Achillea millefolium.



9.


9.






9.

10.  A somewhat overgrown section on the blue trail.








David Reik

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022-6-5, Metacomet Trail, East Granby, CT.

2022-6-3, Lake Compounce Area Trails, Southington, CT

2020-8-2, Highlawn Forest, Middletown, CT