2020-12-15, Earle Park, Glastonbury, CT

 On 2020-12-15, I visited the Earle Park area in Glastonbury, CT.  I parked in a parking lot that appeared to be owned by the American Legion and that used to serve the now permanently closed Audubon Center.  I first went to the Connecticut River and then northerly from Earle Park, back to Earle Park, and then southerly to Roaring Brook, and back to Earle Park.  I made an interactive map showing where I went.  The numbers are GPS Waypoints I recorded at the pictures below.  Here's a link to the interactive map: https://arcg.is/1bHbH40 .

Here's a static screenshot of the Earle Park area of my interactive map.


Here's a static screenshot of the northern part of my interactive map.


Here's a static screenshot of the southern part of my interactive map.


010.  This was still in the Meadow Hill Condominium Association garden.


011.


014.  This is one in a series of similar towers along the banks of the Connecticut River.  Are they for boat navigation?


016.  These signs were facing northeast and indicated that I shouldn't have been where I just was.  I had talked to one bird hunter who didn't suggest I shouldn't be there.


017.  I saw several of these signs.


018.  The confluence of Hubbard Brook and the Connecticut River.


019.  This was one of several signs suggesting that it was fine for me to be where I was, although there were other "No Entry, Pesticides" signs in the Cider Mill Historical Site area suggesting I shouldn't have been where I was.


021.  This sign marked a trail that seemed to cross someone's lawn.


022.  This view has been kept clear.  You can see another tower along the riverbank, and the cliffs of Quarry Park in Rocky Hill on the horizon.


023.  This gulley leading from a plateau down to lower ground was filled with multiple fallen trees.  I was able to get around the fallen trees with some difficulty.  There was another clear but steeper trail leading down from the plateau closer to the river.


026.  This looked like it could be a horse ford across Roaring Brook.


027.  There was a cleared path to this point.  It looked like ATVs had driven through the thick undergrowth to keep the path open.


030.  A sign suggesting that I had a right to walk on this trail that ran between rows of houses.


035.  This dock was an Eagle Scout project completed in 2020.  Do people swim in this little pond?

















David Reik

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022-6-5, Metacomet Trail, East Granby, CT.

2022-6-3, Lake Compounce Area Trails, Southington, CT

2020-8-2, Highlawn Forest, Middletown, CT