2020-11-11, Two Blowdowns on CFPA Trails, Heublein Tower Area

 On 2020-11-11, I cut several blowdowns in the Heublein Tower area.  Two of the blowdowns I cut were on Connecticut Forest and Park Association Trails, the Metacomet Trail for the first blowdown, and the Blue-Red Heublein Bypass Trail for the second blowdown.  I cut several other blowdowns on unblazed trails.


CFPA Blowdown 1.  This was a fallen hemlock tree.  I used my new dry-wood blade in my Bahco 36-inch bow saw.  Note the pileated woodpecker holes.



I only made one cut.  The trail is still partially blocked.


How old was this tree?


The white marker shows the location of the blowdown, as recorded by Judith's iPhone 5s.


CFPA Blowdown 2.  While walking southerly to a blowdown I wanted to cut on an unblazed trail that runs along the fence between MDC and private property, I came to this blowdown on the Blue-Red Heublein Bypass Trail.  It was a white ash.

I made two cuts.  For the first cut, I needed to use both by Bahco bow saw and the pruning saw I bought at Lowe's.

















David Reik

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022-6-5, Metacomet Trail, East Granby, CT.

2022-6-3, Lake Compounce Area Trails, Southington, CT

2020-8-2, Highlawn Forest, Middletown, CT