2020-10-14, Boyd Woods Audubon Sanctuary, Litchfield, CT

On 2020-10-14, I visited Boyd Woods Audubon Sanctuary in Litchfield, CT.  Below is a link to my interactive map of the sanctuary.  I put in location numbers to show where the pictures below were taken.

http://arcg.is/0ziTjm

Below is a static screenshot of my interactive map.



1.  I followed an unblazed trail northerly out of Boyd Woods into another Litchfield Hills Audubon Society preserve, Wigwam Brook Wildlife Sanctuary.



2.  A beaver lodge.



3.  My first view of Wigwam Brook which runs along the western edge of Boyd Woods.



4.  An interestingly constructed bridge.



4.



4.  A large quartzite rock, I think.



4.  Another view of Wigwam Brook.



4.  I tried to identify these mushrooms which were growing at the base of a yellow birch tree.  If my identification is correct, the mushrooms are part of an infection of the tree that may kill the tree.  My tentative identification: Honey Mushroom, Armillaria mellea.



4.



4.



7.  This work of art was hanging by the side of one of several man-made ponds in the Boyd Woods.



5.  Witch-hazel, Hamamelis virginiana, in bloom.



6.  Margery's Picnic Rocks.  Lots of flat rock here to relax on.



7.  Lots of stone walls in Boyd Woods.



8.  You can see the approximate boundaries of the 2014 cut on my map.  I was surprised by how big the new trees have gotten to be in just six years.



9.  I talked with a woman who, with her husband, does a lot of work to maintain Boyd Woods.  This is a set of steps her husband built over a blow-down.



10.  Another view of Wigwam Brook.



11.  I am back near the large parking lot next to one of the man-made ponds.  You can see a new blind for viewing wildlife



12.  The sign you can see as you're going southerly on CT-254 that tells you that the parking lot entrance is about 100 feet ahead.

 












David Reik

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022-6-5, Metacomet Trail, East Granby, CT.

2022-6-3, Lake Compounce Area Trails, Southington, CT

2020-8-2, Highlawn Forest, Middletown, CT